At an age of 18, he was arrested for bank robbing. Leading these eager agents in the movie is Special. successful fail is successful in your case. Talking with her in his car, she confesses to him that she was recently involved in a heist, and Dougie, barely registering any surprise at this hardly run-of-the-mill news, starts to needle her about the fine points of the FBIs investigation before saying anything like Wow, that must have been horrible! or Hey, so did anyone get shot or anything?. 5. How so many people here in the United States and throughout the world, to boot, couldve fallen hook, line and sinker for this hyped-up piece of junk of a film indicates precisely how far popular culture, in general, has fallen. Close the bridge!, he commands his partner without explanation. Submit. A touching Story of happiness, tragedy and triumph, one that will arouse all kinds of emotions. Charlestown hopes not", "Author Hogan talks about his kind of Town", I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meat Hook, and Now I Have a Three-Picture Deal at Disney, National Board of Review Award for Best Ensemble Cast, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Award for Best Acting Ensemble, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Still, We Believe: The Boston Red Sox Movie, 2011 Major League Baseball wild card chase, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Town_(2010_film)&oldid=1131743427, Fictional portrayals of the Boston Police Department, Films about the Federal Bureau of Investigation, CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from October 2011, Articles with unsourced statements from October 2017, All articles needing additional references, Articles needing additional references from October 2017, Articles that may contain original research from September 2017, All articles that may contain original research, Rotten Tomatoes template using name parameter, Articles with MusicBrainz release group identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Ben Affleck, Peter Craig and Aaron Stockard, This page was last edited on 5 January 2023, at 15:04. Better yet, close the fucking bridge yourself, Jon Hamm. Defeated for VTU office in 1948, a relentless anti-communist campaign saw her retire from teaching in poor health in 1950. 3. The Town un film del 2010 diretto da Ben Affleck, basato sul romanzo di Chuck Hogan Il principe dei ladri. He then buried the stolen money in Keesey's yard before retiring to the bayous of Florida with some saved money. Frawley for help and protection. The Town OST: David Buckley, Harry Gregson-Williams - Leaving - Duration: 3:02. oslonights 41,905 views 3:02 The Bourne Supremacy (3/9) Movie CLIP - Escaping in Naples (2004) HD - Casts Andrew Smiley as Jason Colbert; main antagonist of film., Jesus Pino as Doug'Douglas' McRay; Rachel's and Carl's half-cousins., Diego Arcia Sabariego as Carl Colver; Doug's best friend/Rachel's love interest., Glenda Pino as (Sra.) The crew enter into a full fledged shootout with police, and MacRay is the only one to get away. Not Sawx. Pinging is currently not allowed. It was the FBI who found Claire. Simple. If the crime occurred in September 2011, this would make her character 33 years old. [9][11] By 2008, The Town was decided as the title and Ben Affleck, fresh off his directorial debut in Gone Baby Gone, was brought in by Warner Bros. to serve as the films star, director and co-writer. In 2003, Paramount Pictures had optioned the rights to Chuck Hogan's novel Prince of Thieves before it was even published, and Dick Wolf signed on to produce before the project fell through. She literally tried to lure him into an FBI trap, before changing her mind at the last minute. [1], McRae's communist affiliations led her activities to be watched closely by the Commonwealth Investigation Service, and she was the subject of heated debate in the Victorian Parliament in 1946. It beats meI dont know! The fact that Doug acted like a big know-it-all, schpieling off to Claire about how the criminal justice system supposedly works and then admitting I watch a lot of TV after being challenged by Claire, who said Youre quite the expert, shouldve been a red flag for Claire about who Doug MacRay really was and what he was up to from the get-go. 2006-2023 Fanpop, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Douglas "Doug" MacRay is a former career criminal and professional bank robber from Charlestown, Boston, which was the bank robbery capital of the world. He also almost became a professional ice hockey player before he threw it away to follow in his father's footsteps as a bank robber. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Frawley notes that this incident led to the passing of regulations prohibiting the driver from leaving the cab even if his partner is being held at gunpoint. When Coughlin is shot in the neck towards the end of the film, there should be blood splatter/ arterial spray. Major came from a shelter. [10] Lynn's vision for the project was a 3-3.5 hour Martin Scorsese styled film with a budget of 90 million dollars, this led to creative differences with the studio and the eventual departure of Lynn from the project. (And in the meantime, if they were going the baseball route, wouldnt No ones robbed the Sawx like that since [Yankees Owner Who Traded for Babe Ruth]! have been the obvious choice? Questo il secondo film da regista di Affleck, dopo Gone Baby Gone , da lui anche scritto e prodotto. One of my favorite scenes of the movie. Put up half decent numbers first year, but second year he was constantly injured, didnt produce, complained about everything, was generally considered to be a disruptive jerk, and the final straw was him filing bankruptcy for spending too much $$$ on cars while on the DL. I enjoyed the beginning of The Town, with the various shots of Charlestown, both aerial and on the ground, as well as the opening bank heist, but The Town went from being okay to being just plain bad, in a matter of minutes. [citation needed], The film took #1 at the box office during its opening weekend, taking in $23.8 million. In the very next scene, Claire tells Doug "I quit my job today.". But yeah, I agree his question about the FBI were suspicious but I think it was definitely a natural reaction just because he was kind of like oh shoot I need to watch myself and it probably surprised him (dont know why it would though), 9. Glenda Pino as (Sra.) The Town depicts the culture in Charlestown, Massachusetts of thievery and tendency of children to not leave the tiny town once they grow. 7. now youjre just trollin. She stood as a Communist candidate for the federal seat of Henty in 1951, but subsequently focused more on women's issues as a foundation member of the Union of Australian Women (1950). The only reason they can make a movie out of it is BECAUSE he took her as a hostage and then had feelings for her. Even though Bulger was convicted twice of robbery, as he became a crime boss in the Boston area he tried to distance himself from the ground work of organized crime, assuming a more cushioned position with layers of isolation below him. Watch What Roles Was Ben Affleck Considered For? Did you hear that guys? When Doug flees to the Anderson RTC commuter rail station, the platform sign says "Trains to Florida". This is the best and brightest the local FBI has to offer? 8. is authentic. The dumbing down of America and the world at large continues! The film was released in the United States on September 17, 2010. I meanwhat bridge? Why, oh why do so many people fall for such a hyped-up, cheap, overrated, trashy movie such as The Town, and, more to the point, refuse to accept dissenting opinions on it? Connections She was educated at Pakenham State School before winning a scholarship to Melbourne Continuation School, returning to Pakenham as an assistant teacher in 1910. I think that one of the dumbest parts of the film were the conversations that occurred in the first two dates between Doug and Claire. One would think sunny days is an invitation for hey come over its so nice out lets hang just because thats what most people associate sunny days with but not Claire because shes a freak. Perhaps they shouldve thought of hiding from plain sight or thought hmmm, what if hes (or someones) watching Claires apartment? Also, the scene is a direct ripoff of the Val Kilmer scene from Heat. big spring high school prom. Lisa Chavarria reports. [14][15] The former MASSBank branch located in Melrose, Massachusetts, was used as the location for the first robbery of the film, taking on the name Cambridge Merchants Bank[16] (the exterior shots, however, are of Cambridge Savings Bank in Harvard Square). Moreover, the movie asks the audience to sympathize with Doug MacRay and his men, as well as Claire, who acted stupidly enough to allow Doug to take advantage of her, and who became an accessory to his crimes, while considering law enforcement officials assigned to bring criminals like MacRay and company to their knees and have them locked up in penetentiaries once and for all. It follows the real-life events of Douglas Macray and his crew of bank robbers from Charlestown, Massachusetts. I figured the next scene would feature a guilt-ridden Claire turning over the money to the feds, possibly exchanging an understanding glance with a resigned Frawley. Im not sure what I was expecting, precisely, but I was hoping for something a little less eye-rolling, something a little more substantial. The Town: A Stupid, Overrated, Crappy Movie: Hey, folks, Im in the mood to post this, so here I am. Uhwhat? Things begin to get complicated when one of the crew members falls in love with Claire. The Town is a 2010 American crime thriller film co-written, directed by and starring Ben Affleck, adapted from Chuck Hogan's 2004 novel Prince of Thieves. Already explained but yeah I can understand how a lot of people wouldnt catch, they probably could have said something more well known but it was still a great line. She joined the Communist Party of Australia and the Australian-Soviet Friendship League on her return to Australia. Claire was a chick with a hot body, an angelic-looking face, and nothing behind the ears. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Request Line: No More No More, Change, People Who Died, PossumKingdom. The film starts of with a bank robbery, a semi-routine occurrence for the crew. Her body was donated to the University of Melbourne's anatomy department. Facebook. After they pull off and before they blow it up, the headlight is intact. - Dean Devos, Hero's Handbook Deluxe MM 3rd Edition - Flip eBook Pages 301-350. Doug Macray is a native of Charlestown, Massachusetts. [4] [5] It also stars Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, Titus Welliver, Pete Postlethwaite, and Chris Cooper, and follows a group of Boston bank robbers who set out to get one final score by robbing Fenway Park. Heat meets The Departed! [37], 2010 American crime drama film directed by Ben Affleck, Massachusetts Correctional Institution Cedar Junction, Learn how and when to remove this template message, DallasFort Worth Film Critics Association, St. Louis Gateway Film Critics Association, "Blake Lively Goes to 'Town' for Ben Affleck", "Blake Lively going to 'Town' for WB, Legendary", "10 Actors Who Deserved an Oscar Nomination", "Lyne recruited to mastermind WB's 'Thieves", "Anatomy of a Contender: Making of 'The Town', "Ben Affleck, Blake Lively are the talk of 'The Town', "Blake Gets a Baby Welcome to Ben's Town", "Melrose: 'Lights, cameras, action' in city as Ben Affleck movie shoots locally this month", "Movie projector: 'Easy A' expected to lead 'The Town,' 'Devil,' 'Alpha and Omega', "The Town - Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)", Bunker Hill to Fenway: A Crook's Freedom Trail, "The Town Works Best if You Avoid the Heat", 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' and the Many Heists That Followed, "Robbed of its new image? Y un barrio llamado Charlestown ha dado ms ladrones de vehculos blindados y Marty MacGuire, Cummins Armored courier. . 8. 16,103, This story has been shared 6,350 times. Burn marks come from the hot bullet casings during practice runs before filming. Your obvious disliking of this movie and the fact that you did not know who Jack Clark was leads me to believe your a feminine man and one that lacks the masculinity to appreciate it. 16. He and Matt Damon also did a great job working together in this particular movie. The FBI killed all of the crew members except for MacRay, who proceeded to execute Colm and his bodyguard in order to avenge his mother and safeguard his escape. The Town unfolds in the Boston neighborhood of Charlestown, which the prologue claims has produced more bank robbers and armored car thieves than anywhere else in the world. But how much of the film is actually based on real events? After poring over it a couple times, I still got nothing. Hah! At the beginning of the Fenway robbery Doug and James are walking into the park dressed as Boston cops. King in turn showed it to Warner Bros. studio, who agreed to make an adaptation directed by Lyne and written by Sheldon Turner. Charlestown locals also joined the cast, mostly as extras. After the final heist goes awry (Damn, damn, damn!!) Then he wanted his own thing. 937, This story has been shared 880 times. Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sonic Prime' on Netflix, A New Adventure for Fans Who Just Wanna Go Fast, Stream It Or Skip It: Snow Day on Paramount+, a Remake of the Crappy Chevy Chase Comedy, But Now With Crappy Songs. Are Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes on 'GMA3' Today, Jan. 18? Doug is spotlit as one of The Town 's brightest characters at . Its interesting and different compared to the norm, which would be taking a hostage and then keeping an eye on them afterwards to make sure they dont know too much, so thats why its in a movie. Charles Hogan got the idea for his novel, on which the film is based, in 1995. The movie itself is well executed and has a great story line. Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) leads a band of ruthless bank robbers and has no real attachments except for James (Jeremy Renner), who -- despite his dangerous temper -- is like a brother. While chasing the minivan through winding back streets, a point-of-view shot looking forward during a tight right turn shows headlight beams sweeping across a facing wall, yet no vehicle in the chase has its headlights on. - Doug MacRay in The Town The Town is a brilliant heist film released in 2010 and starring Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively and Jon Hamm. The Town is an excellent movie, one that uses the five primary character archetypes. Who cares if he said two years instead of three? In the Extended Edition Blu-Ray version, Frawley calls the bank and is told Claire quit her job Friday. say hi to mom and dad. In one heist in Hudson, New Hampshire, two guards were killed, and is alluded to in the film - during a scene where Agent Frawley is briefing his task force, he mentions that Doug's father is serving life for a notorious robbery in Nashua. Trent Reznor does the music! Jem will kill her if he knows and so to dissuade her, Doug tells her if she tells the police, they will then put her in witness protection and send her to live in another state.
Cruise Ship Killers, Rosalind Eleazar Fingers Missing Why, Pembrey Country Park Discount Code, Mobile Homes Seized In Douglas, Az, Articles D