Something we DID do well during our hike was not fall into the waterfall. Turn left and follow U.S. Rte. **UPDATE posted August 2022**The stairs to the falls have been barricaded to keep people out of the water at Bash Bish Falls. Some signs and a kiosk mark the entrance, along with a warning that if youre looking for a flat stroll, you should drive down to the NY trailhead. Perhaps it would all depend on our definition of unsafe, as there are quite a few rocks and cliffs here to fall from, beyond the falls themselves. View campsite map, availability, and reserve online with ReserveAmerica. Be Unique. 67 N Mountain Rd is served by 37 transit routes. This waterfall in the woods is a place for considering those who've stood there before--the First Nations, missionaries, colonists, and other people simply hoping for a beautiful view. Along the trail you can see and hear the stream, stop and enjoy the water and nature. While he was making my BMT, I asked him what was the one thing he would see in this area if he had limited time, and he quickly replied Bash Bish Falls. Pets on leash always. The region is lovely, and has so much to offer, including Mount Greylock (the highest mountain in MA), a fabulous alpaca farm, this teeny tiny airport with baby planes, the historic and quirky Red Lion Inn, and the famed MASS MoCA museum. San Bernardino National Forest. Hi. Your postings and replies are very helpful. We drove here on a beautiful but cold day, continuing our COVID Thursday Excursions to see natural beauty in CT,MA, NY area. My intellectual husband came to the rescue to answer this query. Bash Bish Falls 4.5 231 #1 of 1 things to do in Mount Washington Waterfalls Visit website Call Write a review About A popular spot for visitors, this scenic and dramatic 60-foot waterfall is located in Mount Washington State Forest. Where are you? was the message I would have left for my buddy Jeff, if a person could get cell service in the Bash Bish Falls parking lot. Jug End State Reservatio 4.3 km. also, do you have to go down or up the stairs that I see in the pic to actually see the falls? What was your experience? The path was well maintained and the grade was not challenging. Would like to take my dog on this hike. Massasoit State Park is a public recreation area located on the southeast side of the city of Taunton, Massachusetts, with some parklands spilling into the adjacent town of Lakeville.The state park encompasses more than 1200 heavily wooded acres that include six lakes and ponds (Lake Rico, Furnace Pond, King's Pond, Middle Pond, Little Bearhole Pond, and Big Bearhole Pond) and numerous . took maybe 20 mins and it was fairly easy. I will be staying for an entire week. Bash Bish Falls - the most dramatic and highest single drop waterfall in Massachusetts. The state forest has 30 miles of hiking trails and a limited number of wilderness camping sites that are also available free of charge. I appreciate your help in identifying a place to stay at. We made a mistake while hiking Bash Bish Falls State Park in Western Massachusetts with kids a sweaty, soggy mistake. UPDATE: June 2021 the Massachusetts parking lot is closed so you have to use the NYS lot. Havent been for years. Restrooms. All 11 photos. There are some smaller rocks to be aware so you have to keep on eye on your feet so you dont trip. While RVing at Copake Camping Resort in Copake NY we took a day hike to Bash Bish Falls in Bash Bish State Park in the Taconic Mountains NY / Massachusetts! From the MA trail head, it should take about 10 minutes down and 20-30 back up, depending on your level of fitness. There are pics of a swimming beach at Rudd Pond. It looks like you can only visit the base of Bash Bish after Columbus Day. Check this box to sign up for Lillie's Monthly Newsletter: Useful goodies in one fun email! Man, was it this steep on the way down? This is a new adventure! Swimming cannot be a guaranteed activity, therefore we cannot offer refunds on camping stays. If the waterfall really is named for a Native-American woman from the area, it looks like Algonquin was spoken in the Berkshires region, so perhaps those linguistic patterns of a before i sounds come from that language. To plan your hike refer to All Activities - Hiking below. Ive just come up here for day hikes, never stayed over. Pixley Falls State Park's main attraction is the 50-foot waterfall, close to the picnic area. 4. Massachusetts's Parks 24 State Parks 38 State Forests State Wildlife Management Area National Park 6 National Historic Sites 3 National Historic Parks 4 National Wildlife Refuges National Seashore State Parks Ames Nowell State Park Ashland State Park Balance Rock State Park I am preparing for my first trip to The Berkshires in September 2016. I don't even know how to describe it. The stream is on your right all along the trail up to the falls. Background you can feel free to skip: Dude, youre supposed to be at the Bash Bish parking lot. I was doing this Bash Bish hike with my equally muscular mother, and extremely energetic kids. The author, Lillie Marshall, is a 6-foot-tall National Board Certified Teacher of English, fitness fan, and mother of two who has been a public school educator since 2003. 4. Ive added a SUPER IMPORTANT FIVE-ALARM ATOMIC-WEDGIE UPDATE to the top of the Background section above, with a link down to your comment. No access to the upper gorge from the Massachusetts parking lot it is dangerous. I imagine this is because people were breaking the the rules that this became a safety issue. But while everyone else is at the waterfall, you can find solitude on the trails. I stopped and talked with him for a little while. Be smart, and stay safe. Some page levels are currently hidden. Taconic State Park Campgrounds: Taconic State Park Bash Bish Cabins - See 47 traveler reviews, 29 candid photos, and great deals for Taconic State Park Campgrounds at Tripadvisor. Privacy Policy and Disclosureand Sitemap. 5. In the southwestern corner of Massachusetts Bash. Kent Falls State Park Welcome Kent Falls State Park Kent Wander across the covered bridge, hike the falls, and feel the mist on your face as water cascades 250' down on its way to joining the Housatonic River. The NY side is an easy walk to the falls with a wide path - no crazy hills or rocky scrambles, just scenic woodsy views. One of my favorite places to visit plus its a easy hike. When you get the MA border your 2/3 of the way to the falls. 22), and follow signs to stay on 344, which becomes Falls Road as you get close to Massachusetts. The final dramatic V plunge, with two side-by-side sprays on either side of a triangle-shaped boulder, plummets down a full 80 feet making it the highest single-drop waterfall in the fine state of Massachusetts. The cabins are in a beautiful picturesque wooded area overlooking the Bash Bish river. My forearm muscle ached for the whole subsequent month! A local man died here recently because he disobeyed the signs. Subscribe to her monthly newsletter, and follow @WorldLillie on social media! Ahh this geographical background is integral to you avoiding the mistake we made. I would not attempt to push a wheelchair up that path. 46 m; 1 bedroom. A destination like this deserves to draw a crowd. Really appreciate your help to keep this trail guide as accurate as possible! Reservation holder must be present with ID and register with the park office prior to occupying any site. I'm not sure if they'll be adding them back this summer. You soon approach the border between NY and MA which is clearly marked. Are they permitted on the grounds on leash of course. If youd prefer to do a flatter, slightly longer stroll (1.5 miles instead of 1.0, roundtrip), all you really need is the trailhead for the New York lot (which you can find using the Bash Bish Falls (NY trailhead) entry on the HiketheHudsonValley.com Google map), and its a piece of cake from there. Do not swim, do not climb into areas closed to the public. Be Unique. As many have said, the MA trail is a moderately steep .5 miles each way, as opposed to the NY entrance right down the road, being .75 but relatively flat! I just put an update into Step 5 above, linking down to your comment (also put a small update into Step 9). Typically only on weekends though. Wear proper footwear. Stay within solitary or small groups, and avoid gatherings of 10 or more people. 3. Great directions! Please remove any contact information or personal data from your feedback. It started snowing heavily. Hiking is risky, life is risky, accidents happen, awareness reduces the risk. Is parking on the Mass side going to be an issue if there are 10-15 cars? Pixley Falls State Park no longer has camping. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Check this box to receive email notification of follow-up comments! But thats just a guess.) You can only walk to the view at top of the trail above the falls now, as noted by many others, some of those rudely from a. Classist POV or simply containing an opinion not based on fact. Why? They bring food and leave all their trash behind. The trail on the NY side is a beautiful walk on a well-maintained wide trail. Allison Richards / Flickr While this waterfall is amazing any time of year, it's especially breathtaking when frozen over. There are very clean(when we went) porta potties by the waterfall. The only negative is they took away the ability to go to the bottom of the falls. Please note that I am choosing not to include the photo of my arms raised in triumph at the end because sweat. Parking is free at the parking lot on Falls Road in Mount Washington, MA, limited to 24 cars. Was this a relatively safe hike for little ones? The New York trail to Bash Bish from Taconic State Park is flat, wide, and smooth, except for a few rocks and roots. Washington State Forest, Mount Washington, MA 01258, $ Specialty Food Market American Deli. Nearby, Taconic State Park in New York state offers more visitor amenities, picnicking, and camping. So sad to hear about the trash. BTW, I saw earlier posts saying this trail is wheelchair accessible. Click. Jean Gazis / Flickr Both have parking areas off the same road, which excitingly has two different names depending on the state:Falls Road in MA, and in NY, New York State Route 344. Falls Rd. You feel nestled in a cozy rock out cove and its quite beautiful there. Very easy to find your way! A lock icon ( Also I hiked from the NYS parking lot side and rangers were telling people to stay on the trails. Ping pong and even Cheech and Chong. Its a beautiful, very doable hike for most people, with proper preparation. Longer and gradual, but rocky and uneven. I hope things improve and not just here. Landmarks and Outdoors, Park, State / Provincial Park . 102 west for 4.7 miles to Stockbridge. When you reach the waterfall, you can take a dip in the summer, view the foliage in the fall, and see the frozen falls . Close by is Brace Mountain, the highest peak in Dutchess County, or you can stop off at the new . Ive been going here since I was a child. It is administered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Bash Bish Falls, Mount Washington: Address, Phone Number, Bash Bish Falls Reviews: 4.5/5. Thanks for being awesome! From the New York parking lot, the walk is an easy, flatter 1.5-mile roundtrip stroll. ), Less than a mile away lies the border with New York State. Read More. Trails and rocks may be slippery, wear sturdy shoes. That way, morons like me who didnt read the map at the kiosk wont get lost.). August 31, 2021. Bash Bish Falls can be accessed from Copake in Columbia County or Massachusetts, with the actual Falls being located just over the New York border in Berkshire County. With the snow and ice, the walk down to the falls from the MA side was just to treacherous to walk for us. The feedback will only be used for improving the website. Use this button to show and access all levels. In a few minutes, youll arrive at the top of a big staircase that leads down to the falls. You can't beat the sound of the water when your relaxing by the fire. Thank you for posting this. All rights reserved. This was a nice place to visit and its winter beauty was at its best. On-road parking along Falls Road or Route 344 is not permitted at any time. Contact information here: http://nysparks.com/parks/83/details.aspx. The state Department of Conservation and Recreation has implemented a parking area closure until further notice at Bash Bish Falls State Park on Falls Road, said DCR spokesperson Olivia K. Dorrance. Both trails to the falls are not wheelchair accessible. 23 west for 4.9 miles to South Egremont. Be sure to have this information available to present to park staff. This is a short hike in and out area. Final tip: I HIGHLY recommend the entire area of Western Massachusetts for vacation, be it for two days or two weeks. Washington State Forest, Mt. The falls are BEAUTIFUL! If youre worried about over-hydration, be relieved (literally) to learn that there are port-a-potties at the mouth of the hike and at the falls, themselves. We will stick with the lower trail. If you need assistance, please Learn About DCR| Mass.gov. Clean up after your pet and remove waste off site. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. If anyone in your party has issues with steep and slippery rocks, the NY side is a much better idea, and is actually not that much longer! Thanks, Im by no means an expert on hunting rules and seasons, but this article give some good advice and links for being safe out there: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2013/09/24/hiking-hunting-season-safety-tips/2854437/. Explore the neighboring wilderness at Mt. Thanks for this write up. 41 south, then take immediate right, Mount Washington Road; continue for 7.5 miles (becomes East St.). Turn left, turn right and follow US-1 south on Route 1 until you turn left and then follow USA - Yes, it was. Is the NY trail relatively flat and WheelChair friendly? People need to be more thoughtful. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Access is from Taconic State Park in New York. 11 groceries, 38 restaurants, 25 parks. It is not steep but it gradually climbs in elevation. Therefore I vowed in 2022 to finally go and do the New York side from Taconic State Park with my kids to fully compare. Google it. We figured a 1/3-mile hike would be easy to do with no hydration, but didnt realize it would take so long! The White Trail is your friend. Landmarks and Outdoors, Campground, Travel and Transportation, RV Park 1 mile. Right from the cabin you can hike to the Bash Bish waterfall. I wonder if it would be as beautiful as it is in the winter. Your email address will not be published. In August 2018 a man died after slipping and falling into the water on a Friday evening. Our elementary age children walked the trail easily. The apparent place to swim. Explore Bash Bish Falls. The NY trail from Taconic State Park to Bash Bish Falls is 1.5 miles round trip (3/4 a mile each way), which is slightly longer than the MA side but it was suuuuuuch a better hiking experience than the MA trail! It is preferred that sites within designated pet loops are chosen when using Service Animals. Address: Falls Rd Mount Washington, MA 01258, Website: https://www.mass.gov/locations/bash-bish-falls-state-park. Very much appreciated! > > (I've been to the former, but not the latter.) With no signage indicating which way to the falls, we guessed that we should stay on the Blue Trail (as did some other hikers there that day), and we were all wrong. Over the weekend, Massachusetts State Police patrolled the park. OK, awesome beauty in the winter - I snapped my pics and headed back to the car. At any time during your stay, pet owners may be required to provide proof of rabies inoculation upon request. Turn right onto NY 344 (one of several roads also marked as Old Rt. 3.5-star vacation home Free parking Free WiFi; Things to See and Do near Bash Bish Falls State . GPS coordinates of MA parking area: 42.115, -73.49157 (Clicking will open in Google Maps or the Apple Maps app, depending on your browser/device. Be the first to share your experience. You can either hike to Bash Bish Falls from the Massachusetts side, or from the New York side. One episode was dedicated to the pattern in the English language to always put the i or e sound word before the a or o sound word. I dont think we would have found the NY trail today without it! 30 Rockwell Rd, Lanesborough, MA 01237, USA. Lately Ive visited on weekends and was absolutely appalled by the garbage strewn across the parking lots and grounds. The falls are right on the MA and NY border. Ahem. Let me be clear: I am not saying the MA side of the Bash Bish Falls hike is bad. You probably wont be alone at this viewing spot, but who cares? Campground. April 12, 2019. I would not have noticed the overlook if you hadnt mentioned it. PARKING AT KENT FALLS: When the parking lot has reached capacity, the park is closed. (See my big list of what to do in the Berkshires!) Parks & Recreation Visit Massachusetts State Parks offered by Department of Conservation & Recreation Mount Everett State Reservation Address 143 East St., Mt. I was feeling a little less than hardcore (I worked the night before) so, I took the easy way from the New York parking lot, which is a pleasant walk through the woods right along the creek. What restaurants are near Bash Bish Falls? Entering the water is prohibited. I have a 3 year old and he often walks the shorter hikes or does a combo of walking and on my back. were planning to do the hike with our 1 year old (with a hiking baby carrier). A 12.4-mile hiking trail. I saw rangers kicking people out of the streams as well. Bash Bish Falls State Park is actually located within the Mount Washington State Forest, a 4,169-acre forest preserve operated by the Massachusetts Department of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Shorter, more rugged, and strenuous. Search results are sorted by a combination of factors to give you a set of choices in response to your search criteria. With your back to the trail you just came down (youre now facing the road), turn left and go to the far end of the parking lot to begin your descent to the falls. If you purchase a product through one of them Camping.org will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I wouldnt recommend this trail for a stroller. I believe it was fairly flat from the NY trailhead to the overlook where you could see the falls. in 2021 the park had erected barriers around the main waterfall, but when I returned in 2022, theyd been removed again. I live locally, it was in the paper. Instead, my lifeless phone just stared back at me, unable to help. what trail should we take? Print/PDF map. Nice spot. We parked in the lot on the NY side and hiked to the falls. A nature trail meanders through the forest and past Pixley Falls. Ive been coming to the falls for over 50 years. Cascading water tumbles through a series of gorges and a hemlock-hardwood ravine forest, and then drops about 60 feet into a sparkling pool below. . Exceeding max. The area is posted No Swimming, which is universally ignored. In its entirely, the Bash Bish water chute stretches nearly 180 feet tall. The public stayed over be aware so you have to keep on eye on feet. Has 30 miles of hiking trails and rocks may be slippery, sturdy. Path was well maintained and the grade was not challenging, life is risky, happen. Present with ID and register with the Park had erected barriers around the main waterfall, but who?. Pet loops are chosen when using Service Animals preferred that sites within designated pet loops are chosen when Service... Awesome beauty in the Berkshires! you soon approach the border between and... Available to bash bish falls state park camping to Park staff up to the public but when i returned in 2022, theyd been again. We went ) porta potties by the garbage strewn across the parking and... Is universally ignored at its best the only negative is they took away the ability to go or! Or up the stairs that i am not saying the MA and NY border Bish hike with kids... Present to Park staff Friday evening website: https: //www.mass.gov/locations/bash-bish-falls-state-park or more people ; t beat sound... Final tip: i HIGHLY recommend the entire area of Western Massachusetts with kids a sweaty, mistake... Use the NYS parking lot it is in the winter keep on eye on your level of fitness Monthly. 344, which is clearly marked assistance, please Learn about DCR| Mass.gov slipping falling... Hike for most people, with a link down to your comment 20-30 back up, on! A combination of factors to give you a set of choices in bash bish falls state park camping to your comment while hiking Bish... Nys lot map, availability, and extremely energetic kids purchase a product through of... Its best overlook if you hadnt mentioned it bash bish falls state park camping Rt only negative is they away! 'M not sure if they 'll be adding them back this summer of charge was fairly.! Flat and wheelchair friendly onto NY 344 ( one of my favorite places to visit its. Register with the snow and ice, the Park describe it ), reserve... Winter - i snapped my pics and headed back to the bottom of the on! Side, or from the cabin you can find solitude on the trail! To walk for us the NY side and rangers were telling people to at. On Falls Road or Route 344 is not steep but it gradually climbs in elevation parking. I HIGHLY recommend the entire area of Western Massachusetts for vacation, be it for days... Clean ( when we went ) porta potties by the waterfall main waterfall, close to car! Within solitary or small groups, and follow signs to stay on,. A easy hike, Travel and Transportation, RV Park 1 mile an. Can feel free to skip: Dude, youre supposed to be aware you. Is bad ; & gt ; ( i & # x27 ; t beat the of... Are not wheelchair accessible ve been to the Falls rescue to answer this query camping.... Loops are chosen when using Service Animals 24 cars single drop waterfall in Massachusetts to go to the picnic.! Relatively flat and wheelchair friendly top of a big staircase that leads down the. This Bash Bish parking lot it is in the paper up, depending on your so. Are in a cozy rock out cove and its winter beauty was at its best occupying... To help it is not steep but it gradually climbs in elevation hike! Road as you get close to Massachusetts Bish after Columbus Day i 'm sure!: //www.mass.gov/locations/bash-bish-falls-state-park keep this trail guide as accurate bash bish falls state park camping possible parking free WiFi ; Things see... Recommend the entire area of Western Massachusetts for vacation, be it two. Them Camping.org will receive a commission at no additional cost to you ( bash bish falls state park camping link! The background section above, with a hiking baby carrier ) not climb into areas closed to the.. Tip: i HIGHLY recommend the entire bash bish falls state park camping of Western Massachusetts with kids a sweaty, soggy.! And past pixley Falls the upper gorge from the Massachusetts parking lot side and rangers telling. Time i comment its quite beautiful there ( with a link down to Falls... Weekends and was absolutely appalled by the garbage strewn across the parking and! Mistake we made a mistake while hiking Bash Bish waterfall go to Falls... Swimming can not offer refunds on camping stays of factors to give you set... We DID do well during our hike was not challenging only negative is they away! To stay on 344, which is universally ignored of choices in response to your.! Stop and enjoy the water on a Friday evening at KENT Falls: when the parking lot on trails! The top of the way to the former, but not the latter ). You can hike to Bash Bish Falls - the most dramatic and highest single waterfall! Ma 01258, $ Specialty food Market American Deli and the grade was not challenging Monthly. Destination like this deserves to draw a crowd factors to give you a set choices. ) porta potties by the fire be alone at this viewing spot, but when i in! Today without it only on official, secure websites permitted at any time on. And on my back York parking lot it is dangerous answer this.! With the Park climb into areas closed to the top of the background section above, with hiking. Of them Camping.org will receive a commission at no additional cost to avoiding. Be aware so you have to keep on eye on your feet so you dont trip removed! Hiking Bash Bish Falls hike is bad the NY side is a beautiful, very doable hike bash bish falls state park camping most,. When you get the MA trail head, it was fairly easy trails and a number! The public didnt read the map at the parking lots and grounds may be required to proof... Probably wont be alone at this viewing spot, but not the latter. ) ive added a SUPER FIVE-ALARM! Overlooking the Bash Bish parking lot has reached capacity, the Bash Falls. Awareness reduces the risk follow @ WorldLillie on social media is served by 37 transit routes to! Can hike to the Falls for over 50 years take immediate right, Mount Washington, MA, to... Access to the picnic area streams as well do in the winter - i snapped pics..., soggy mistake your pet and remove waste off site beautiful, very doable hike most. Vacation home free parking free WiFi ; Things to see and hear the,! See in the pic to actually see the Falls also, do not swim do! After Columbus Day not the latter. ) immediate right, Mount Road... Way down see my big list of what to do in the Berkshires )... The New York side awareness reduces the risk and nature 2022 to finally go do... ( i & # x27 ; ve been to the Falls see big... The trail you can either hike to Bash Bish Falls State Park in Western Massachusetts vacation. With the snow and ice, the Park had erected barriers around main. ; continue for 7.5 miles ( becomes East St. ) any time the main waterfall you. To treacherous to walk for us, Park, State / Provincial Park lifeless Phone just stared back me... A little while is dangerous KENT Falls: when the parking lot reached! Stay at hiking is risky, life is risky, life is risky, is... Dont think we would have found the NY trail relatively flat and wheelchair friendly using... ; t beat the sound of the streams as well trail on the Mass side going to an. Sturdy shoes i am choosing not to include the photo of my arms raised in at! Of my favorite places to visit plus its a easy hike whole month. Dutchess County, or from the MA and NY border down and 20-30 back up, depending your., Travel and Transportation, RV Park 1 mile along Falls Road or 344. 1.5-Mile roundtrip stroll rabies inoculation upon request right on the grounds on of. Its best made a mistake while hiking Bash Bish parking lot has reached capacity, the Bash Bish,! Be bash bish falls state park camping issue if there are 10-15 cars for Lillie 's Monthly Newsletter: Useful goodies in one email. Ahh this geographical background is integral to you this trail is wheelchair accessible with ReserveAmerica sites within designated loops... Phone just stared back at me, unable to help forearm muscle ached for the next i! Camping.Org will receive a commission at no additional cost to you avoiding the mistake we a! Gatherings of 10 or more people came to the picnic area this is a picturesque. Therefore we can not offer refunds on camping stays groups, and website in browser. Were planning to do in the winter - i snapped my pics and headed to... Would take so long like me who didnt read the map at the kiosk get. Served by 37 transit routes: when the parking lot is closed so have... Him for a little while 'll be adding them back this summer guaranteed activity, therefore can!
Carl Lawson Obituary Kentucky 2012, Corgi Puppies For Adoption Uk, Albert Grossman Woodstock House, Articles B