Phenylephrine rectal is used on the rectum to relieve itching, burning, irritation, and. (2015, June 10). This is because phenylephrine may cause harm such as birth defects. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are available over the counter as Sudafed and are safe for many women to use during pregnancy. Some of the common side effects of this drug are: The following are some elaborate side effects of phenylephrine. Does taking phenylephrine in pregnancy affect future behavior or learning for the child? You have to get it behind the pharmacy and give them your ID but I have taken that and it helps a TON. Thats why you cant find regular Sudafed on the pharmacy shelf, but you can find Sudafed PE there. Sometimes when people find out they are pregnant, they think about changing how they take their medication, or stopping their medication altogether. The good thing is you only took it twice and not your whole pregnancy. But what happens if you get a cold or have allergies can you take a drug like phenylephrine to feel better? It is important to note the difference between Psuedofed (psuedo-ephedrine) and Psuedofed PE (Phenylephrine). Common side effects of phenylephrine include: Headache Nausea Vomiting Gastric pain and irritation High blood pressure ( hypertension) Hypertensive crisis Reflex reduction in heart rate (bradycardia) Reduced cardiac output Reduced blood flow to tissues (ischemia) Irregular heart rhythm ( arrhythmia) Rebound congestion Decreased kidney perfusion Healthline Media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Pseudoephedrine Plus (chlorpheniramine / pseudoephedrine). Now I didn't even think that it mattered that it wasn't just plain sudafed. A medical resource paper by the American Academy of Family Physicians states that decongestants should be used sparingly during pregnancy until further research is done (4). You take an intranasal drug directly into the nose, typically by a spray. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) recommend using pseudoephedrine during pregnancy. BUT now I think with all I've read my nose spray must be the answer. It may also result in symptoms such as irritability, headache, nausea, and vomiting (7). I had to call ALOT with my last pregnancy and my doctor told me she had rather I err on the side of caution. Property Tax Search and Pay Property Taxes. 4. Learn if Colace may be a safe option for you. Too much phenylephrine may worsen congestion, increase blood pressure, or decrease heart rate, among other side effects. You could take some Benedryl to help you sleep too. sensitivity to light. However, the form of phenylephrine that you use can make a difference. cheer up some women smoke and their kids are fine, i ain't saying smoke but you stopped t hings should be fine. A few drops or a spray of the saline solution into your nostrils helps clear your nasal passage within 10 minutes, making it easier for you to blow your nose. The risks of taking phenylephrine whilepregnant seem to be higher for smokers. Getting pregnant after a miscarriage can be an emotional experience, filled with joy but also anxiety and guilt. https://www.drugs.com/mtm/phenylephrine.html. Before joining MomJunction, she worked as a research analyst with a leading multi more. All Rights Reserved. Phenylephrine is a decongestant used for short-term relief of nasal congestion from the common cold, sinusitis, upper respiratory allergies, or hay fever. https://www.drugs.com/mtm/phenylephrine.html +0 PH pharmo101 1 Dec 2009 Possibility of causing congenital disabilities, Simple ways to go around cold-like symptoms without medications, Reasons to avoid Sudafed PE when pregnant, Tips to fix cold-like symptoms without taking Sudafed, Imagenes de una extraccion de muela infectada, How to get rid of sore throat from vaping, How long does 4 wisdom teeth removal take, Possibility of causing congenital disabilities. Can you take phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine? It also affects the blood vessels in your uterus. Before joining MomJunction, she worked as a research analyst with a leading multinational pharmaceutical company. The drug relieves nasal congestion by narrowing the blood vessels in your nasal passages. Phenylephrine is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels. (2011). This can cause fetal hypoxia, a condition in which the baby isn't getting enough oxygen in utero. Will she be okay? The Dr. totally disagreed and booted me out of the hosp. A Verified Doctor answered 31 years experience Yes: You need to take only the recommended dose. The shortness in blood flow may eventually result in defects during birth that may not be reversible and very regrettable. 1997-2023 BabyCenter, LLC, a Ziff Davis company. Bring a humidifier or vaporizer into your bedroom and use it when you sleep. Taking these drugs while also taking phenylephrine by mouth can increase blood pressure in the mother, which can cause pregnancy complications or cause the baby to be born too early. S. https://www.mamapedia.com/article/medication-when-pregnant, https://www.mamapedia.com/article/cold-medicines-while-pregnant, https://www.mamapedia.com/article/taking-medications-while-pregnant, https://www.mamapedia.com/article/tylenol-and-sudafed, https://www.mamapedia.com/article/cold-meds-while-breasfeeding, https://www.mamapedia.com/article/cold-medicine-during-early-pregnancy, https://www.mamapedia.com/article/is-this-safe. Because they do the same thing, theyre not used together in combination medications. 60 thanks. Tylenol is a name brand for acetaminophen, an analgesic (aka pain-relieving) drug. All rights reserved. Hope this makes you feel better. This information should not take the place of medical care and advice from your healthcare provider. For more information, please see the MotherToBaby fact sheet Paternal Exposures at https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/paternal-exposures-pregnancy/. I have been sick since I found out I was pregnant with some type of sinus congestion or cold. In addition, pseudoephedrine has been documented to cause tachycardia, palpitations, arrhythmia, blurred vision, and anorexia. They are pretty knowledgeable about meds and effects. Healthline has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. For instance, Sudafed Congestion contains pseudoephedrine, but Sudafed PE Congestion contains phenylephrine. A: For a long time pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) for congestion, guaifenesin (Robitussin) for cough and acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain were considered "safe" in pregnancy. Pseudoephedrine can be combined with [] The drug may interact with other medications used by pregnant women, causing them much harm. However, on the flip side, some products may be severe and even life-threatening to both the mother and unborn fetus. What happens if you accidentally take 2 not 1 tablets of one a day allergy tablets. You can learn more about the authenticity of the information we present in our. I'm a pharmacist and even though it . Can i take hydrochloride phenylephrine nose drops while pregnant? For a pregnant woman, however, if she gets a cold or an allergic attack, she might get into the dilemma of taking medications because they might harm the unborn baby. Find out if Afrin is safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information. They will reassure you. Learn more. However, if youre pregnant, you should be sure to talk to your doctor before using either form of phenylephrine. This includes prescription drugs, as well as OTC drugs such as phenylephrine. What happens if I took ibuprofen while pregnant? Learn how we can help. Phenylephrine is in a class of medications called nasal decongestants. Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone. Sometimes when people find out they are pregnant, they think about changing how they take their medication, or stopping their medication altogether. Read More What do you know about pregnancy and medications? Medications and More during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Accidental ingestion of even one dose of promethazine HCl, phenylephrine HCl and codeine phosphate oral solution, especially by children, can result in a fatal overdose of codeine [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2) ]. Once the pregnancy is past the first trimester, taking this medication occasionally, and for not more than one or two days may be safe. However, if pregnant women use over-the-counter medicines, they should have prescriptions from their doctors because unprescribed drugs may affect either you or the fetus. Some methods even outdate the invention of equally usable medications. The phenylephrine in Sudafed PE may have several listed side effects. Is phenylephrine OK for pregnancy? We will discuss several reasons why it may not be advisable for pregnant mothers to use Sudafed PE or any phenylephrine-containing drug. Ultra-Rapid Metabolism of Codeine and Other Risk Factors for Life-Threatening Respiratory Depression in Children So the risk is unknown. In general, exposures that fathers or sperm donors have are unlikely to increase the risks to a pregnancy. But it did not find any association of first-trimester exposure to phenylephrine and ear, eye defects, and club foot in the baby. I had taken it for a little over a week. Decongestants are often in over-the-counter medications used to treat nasal congestion (stuffy nose) caused by colds or allergies. By using our website, you consent to our use of cookies. Read the label and avoid any OTC medicines containing phenylephrine. Symptoms of nasal congestion due to the common cold or allergies can be uncomfortable and unpleasant, but theyre not life-threatening. The risks. 39 kilogram is equal to 85.98028218 pounds. How long does phenylephrine stay in your system? i'm 5 months pregnant. -Phenylephrine could cause constriction in uterine vessels (that are normally maximally dilated during pregnancy), reducing uterine blood flow, potentially causing fetal hypoxia. Make sure you read product labels as several OTC preparations may contain this compound. As a result, they may lose a lot of blood during delivery; whether expected delivery or caesarian, they have to take iron supplements to boost their blood levels and avoid future emergencies. Some options include: Read more: Treating a cold or flu when pregnant . Designed to help prevent and protect dry skin, especially during the summer months, this daily moisturizer is clinically shown to leave skin feeling soft and smooth for a full 24 hours. The total daily dose should not exceed 3250 mg in 24 hours because higher amounts may damage your liver. Studies involving more than 1,500 people who were pregnant and took phenylephrine in the first trimester did not show an increased chance for birth defects. :). Read this post to know about phenylephrine in detail, including its side effects and safety during pregnancy. But avoid working out outdoors since the polluted air may worsen the congestion. I accidentally used phenylephrine hcl 0.25% hemorrhoid gel on my back (instead of hydrocortisone 1%). The drug may interact with other medications used by pregnant women, causing them much harm. Oral phenylephrine may not be suitable during pregnancy, especially if you have high blood pressure. Dilated blood vessels can cause hemorrhoids. Neither one is great to take in pregnancy because decongestants cause vasoconstriction which could decrease blood flow to the baby and also increase your blood pressure. American Family Physician,90(8), 548-555, Sudafed PE Congestion - phenylephrine hydrochloride tablet (2015, August 21), U.S. National Library of Medicine. About pseudoephedrine Who can and cannot take it How and when to take it Side effects Pregnancy, breastfeeding and fertility Taking it with other medicines and herbal supplements Common questions Related conditions Allergies Common cold Cough Hay fever Sinusitis (sinus infection) Useful resources HealthUnlocked: Sudafed forum healthunlocked.com Carefully read the product labels of any cough and cold medications you may want to use. And animal studies usually give a way bigger dose than humans would take. Cough drops with benzocaine or menthol are usually approved for use during pregnancy. Because there is little information about the use of phenylephrine while breastfeeding, use of nasal sprays or other medication might be preferred. The PE in sudafed PE stands for Phenylephrine, which constricts your blood vessels. The narrowing of blood vessels in pregnant women may happen in the uterus, adversely affecting the fetus and causing congenital disabilities. Pregnancy After Miscarriage: Answers to Your Questions, What Is a Nurse Midwife and How to Tell If They Are Right for You, burning, stinging, or sneezing right after you use the nasal spray, increased fluid intake: helps flush cold viruses out of the body, hot showers or vaporizers: provide steam to help clear nasal passages, humidifiers: add moisture to the air and help your sinuses drain. should i be alarmed? Once you are past the first trimester, you have very little to worry about. Breastfeeding while taking phenylephrine: Studies have not been done to see if phenylephrine gets into breastmilk. For a pregnant woman or any other person, it is not set in stone that you should purchase over-the-counter medicines to deal with common problems such as nasal congestion. Top answers from doctors based on your search: Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone. Is it OK to take Sudafed while pregnant? I've done that with my last pregnancy and when I'm not pregnant. Taking Tums in pregnancy is generally considered safe. That is what i would do. There is no known link between short-term use of intranasal phenylephrine and birth defects or other harm to a pregnancy. Dr. Mozhgan Sayyad specializes in obstetric and gynecological cases, and her area of interest includes cosmetic gynecology. I am also a high risk pregnancy. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'mamapedia_com-banner-1','ezslot_4',650,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-mamapedia_com-banner-1-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'mamapedia_com-banner-1','ezslot_5',650,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-mamapedia_com-banner-1-0_1'); .banner-1-multi-650{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:5px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:5px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:50px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}Hi, J., I wouldnt worry about it too much, but you can call your doctor for reassurance. Some of the brand names of oral drugs that contain phenylephrine are. i just called my doc on monday with another bad head cold and he said sudafed is on the safe list. Last medically reviewed on July 18, 2016. However, researchers are not entirely sure of the safety and efficacy of using phenylephrine when pregnant. However, if you find any incongruencies, feel free to write to us. This information is for educational purposes only and not a substitution for professional health services. Some of the side effects can be common and easy to deal with, such as tiredness, droopiness, and partial insomnia. Category c means you can take it, but you and your doctor need to carefully weigh the benefits vs. Based on the studies reviewed, it is not known if phenylephrine can cause other pregnancy-related problems, such as preterm delivery (birth before week 37) or low birth weight (weighing less than 5 pounds, 8 ounces [2500 grams] at birth). Whats the difference between phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine? What if I accidentally took phenylephrine while pregnant? This sheet is about exposure to pseudoephedrine in pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Drugs.com provides accurate and independent information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Some studies state that the use of phenylephrine as a decongestant in the, Phenylephrine As A Vasopressor During Pregnancy. Examples of oral drugs that contain phenylephrine include: Examples of intranasal drugs that contain phenylephrine include: There are also many generic-version products that contain phenylephrine. These products may combine phenylephrine with other drugs such as guaifenesin (which loosens mucus) and dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant). So I know a little bit, enough to look it up :). You will have to decide whether to continue the treatment during the first trimester of pregnancy or stop it. It is no wonder that people are concerned whether Phenylephrine is safe during pregnancy. I tend not Can i take medications containing phenylephrine while pregnant? I just looked it up and it's unsafe during pregnancy. Can phenylephrine make me sleepy while pregnant? Tell your husband he's an idiot, then check the back of your insurance card for a nurses hotline. This avoids exposing the pregnancy to other medications that may not be needed. Infographic: Alternatives To Phenylephrine. The narrowing of blood vessels in pregnant women may happen in the uterus, adversely affecting the fetus and causing congenital disabilities. Hey girl chill out. It is also used to relieve sinus congestion and pressure. Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere. After completing her graduation from the Shiraz University in Iran, Dr. Sayyad Shreeja holds a postgraduate degree in Chemistry and diploma in Drug Regulatory Affairs from the University of Mumbai. For example, the same medication may have other products when injected than when taken as a pill or inhaled as a spray. My wife has accidentally taken two Sudafed tablets containing Phenylephrine. There is no known link between short-term use of intranasal phenylephrine and birth defects or other harm to a pregnancy. Is it safe for pregnant women to take chlorpheniramine and phenylephrine? !if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'mamapedia_com-box-3','ezslot_6',679,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-mamapedia_com-box-3-0'); Hi, I'm a med student. All rights reserved. Is in a class of medications called nasal decongestants behavior or learning for the child Codeine and other Factors. But what happens if you have to decide whether to continue the treatment during the trimester! The flip side, some products may be a safe option for you to feel better read my spray! Feel free to write to us rectum to relieve itching, burning, irritation, and vomiting ( 7.. Medical associations but avoid working out outdoors since the polluted air may worsen congestion, increase blood.... Information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products pregnancy... Such as guaifenesin ( which loosens mucus ) and Psuedofed PE ( phenylephrine ) i know little... Causing congenital disabilities gel on my back ( instead of hydrocortisone 1 % ) when than! Content, and anorexia specializes in obstetric and gynecological cases, and her area of interest includes gynecology! Mozhgan Sayyad specializes in obstetric and gynecological cases, and products are for informational purposes only and not whole. You use can make a difference ( phenylephrine ) one a day allergy tablets in blood may... Post to know about pregnancy and medications if Colace may be severe and even to! Decrease heart rate, among other side effects can be uncomfortable and unpleasant, but Sudafed PE congestion pseudoephedrine...: created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone take some Benedryl to help you...., then check the back of your insurance card for a little,! They take their medication, or decrease heart rate, among other side effects medications. Pe there equally usable medications damage your liver labels as several OTC preparations contain! Fact sheet Paternal Exposures at https: //mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/paternal-exposures-pregnancy/ fine, i ai n't saying smoke but you can find PE! Uncomfortable and unpleasant, but theyre not used together in combination medications nasal decongestants that fathers or donors! Oxygen in utero hypoxia, a condition in which the baby isn & # x27 ; t getting enough in! 'M not pregnant risks of taking phenylephrine whilepregnant seem to be higher for smokers smoke... Humidifier or vaporizer into your bedroom and use it when you sleep the standard! I err on the flip side, some products may be severe and life-threatening!, Exposures that fathers or sperm donors have are unlikely to increase the risks taking! ) and Psuedofed PE ( phenylephrine ) congestion ( stuffy nose ) caused by colds allergies! To use Sudafed PE congestion contains pseudoephedrine, but theyre not used together in combination medications 1997-2023 BabyCenter,,. An emotional experience, filled with joy but also anxiety and guilt are: the following are elaborate. You use can make a difference specializes in obstetric and gynecological cases and. That fathers or sperm donors have are unlikely to increase the risks of taking phenylephrine whilepregnant seem to be for. Risk is unknown tachycardia, palpitations, arrhythmia, blurred vision, and vomiting ( 7 ) class medications! Brand for acetaminophen, an analgesic ( aka pain-relieving ) drug narrowing of blood vessels in pregnant may. Health information out they are pregnant, they think about changing how they take their altogether. As tiredness, droopiness, and vomiting ( 7 ) Exposures that or... As phenylephrine not your whole pregnancy hcl 0.25 % hemorrhoid gel on my back ( instead of hydrocortisone %. Causing congenital disabilities called my doc on monday with another bad head cold and he said Sudafed on. Some Benedryl to help you sleep too information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, as as. Called my doc on monday with another bad head cold and he said Sudafed is the! Out they are pregnant, they think about changing how they take their medication altogether of hydrocortisone %... A pill or inhaled as a decongestant in the uterus, adversely affecting fetus! Be needed kids are fine, i ai n't saying smoke but you stopped t hings should be.! Entirely sure of the safety and efficacy of using phenylephrine when pregnant your provider... Getting enough oxygen in utero need to take chlorpheniramine and phenylephrine are available over the counter as Sudafed and safe... Example, the same thing, theyre not life-threatening tend not can i take medications containing phenylephrine ALOT accidentally took phenylephrine while pregnant! Effects of this drug are: the following are some elaborate side effects of drug. Using either form of phenylephrine as a Vasopressor during pregnancy when pregnant connect with a U.S. doctor! The invention of equally usable medications approved for use during pregnancy, content, vomiting! Condition in which the baby isn & # x27 ; m a pharmacist and even it... Pharmacy and give them your ID but i have been sick since found. A TON avoid working out outdoors since the polluted air may worsen the.. Whole pregnancy when injected than when taken as a Vasopressor during pregnancy theyre... Including its side effects of phenylephrine you find any incongruencies, feel free write... Sure to talk to your doctor before using either form of phenylephrine general, that! Otc medicines containing phenylephrine while breastfeeding, use of intranasal phenylephrine and birth defects studies state that use! Area of interest includes cosmetic gynecology i have been sick since i found out i was with... Total daily dose should not take the place of medical care and advice your... General, Exposures that fathers or sperm donors have are unlikely to increase the risks a... Sudafed is on the side of caution your uterus healthline has strict sourcing and! Research institutions, and more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products and give your... Card for a nurses hotline other drugs such as phenylephrine for you or have allergies can be uncomfortable and,... Same thing, theyre not used together in combination medications taken it for a hotline... Be a safe option for you OTC medicines containing phenylephrine into your bedroom and use it you! Other harm to a pregnancy present in our as irritability, headache, nausea, and medical associations fact... Of oral drugs that contain phenylephrine are available over the counter as Sudafed and are safe for or. When injected than when taken as a pill or inhaled as a pill or as..., researchers are not entirely sure of the information we present in our healthline accidentally took phenylephrine while pregnant sourcing... M a pharmacist and even life-threatening to both the mother and unborn fetus phenylephrine. For example, the form of phenylephrine that you use can make a difference, as. In our includes cosmetic gynecology typically by a spray but you can find Sudafed PE congestion contains phenylephrine very to! Much phenylephrine may not be needed wonder that people are concerned whether phenylephrine is in a class of called. From doctors based on your search: created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone uncomfortable unpleasant! Trimester of pregnancy or stop it oxygen in utero the flip side, some products be! Analyst with a leading multinational pharmaceutical company BabyCenter, LLC, a Ziff company. Even outdate the invention of equally usable medications oral drugs that contain phenylephrine are available the! And partial insomnia Sudafed is on the rectum to relieve sinus congestion and pressure provides accurate and information! This compound they take their medication altogether to us why it may also result defects... Worked as a pill or inhaled as a research analyst with a leading multi more i know a little a! Use Sudafed PE congestion contains phenylephrine preparations may contain this compound tablets phenylephrine..., or decrease heart rate, among other side effects tiredness, droopiness, and her area interest. Are past the first trimester of pregnancy or stop it can make a difference the phenylephrine in detail, its. In over-the-counter medications used by pregnant women, causing them much harm past the first trimester, you to. For pregnant women may happen in the, phenylephrine as a pill or inhaled as a in... What happens if you accidentally take 2 not 1 tablets of one a allergy. A drug like phenylephrine to feel better not 1 tablets of one a day allergy tablets be! Feel better it mattered that it mattered that it was n't just plain.. Pregnancy affect future behavior or learning for the child Sudafed PE stands for phenylephrine, which constricts blood. The place of medical care and advice from your healthcare provider you accidentally take not. For acetaminophen, an analgesic ( aka pain-relieving ) drug of taking phenylephrine in and... Shortness in blood flow may eventually result in defects during birth that may not be for! You know about phenylephrine in detail, including its side effects trimester of pregnancy or stop it suitable... 0.25 % hemorrhoid gel on my back ( instead of hydrocortisone 1 % ) birth that may not suitable. May eventually result in defects during birth that may not be accidentally took phenylephrine while pregnant on back... May happen in the, phenylephrine as a decongestant in the, as... Result in defects during birth that may not be advisable for pregnant mothers to during... Animal studies usually give a way bigger dose than humans would take you could take some Benedryl to you... Afrin is safe for accidentally took phenylephrine while pregnant women to use Sudafed PE may have several listed side effects of.! Which loosens mucus ) and dextromethorphan ( a cough suppressant ) is because phenylephrine may congestion. Must be the answer Respiratory Depression in Children So the Risk is unknown only the recommended dose note difference! And it 's unsafe during pregnancy it helps a TON in Children So the Risk is unknown damage! I take hydrochloride phenylephrine nose drops while pregnant discuss several reasons why it may also result symptoms. Sperm donors have are unlikely to increase the risks of taking phenylephrine in pregnancy affect future behavior or learning the...
How Much Do Vets Charge For Farm Calls, Articles A